With your organization’s help, Canada has the potential to become a world leader in advancing children’s health, and public health, for generations to come.
1. Endorse. Join a professional collective and take action on marketing to kids. Encourage your organization–or organizations you are involved with–to endorse the Stop Marketing to Kids Coalition and The Ottawa Principles. Contact us for endorsement inquiries or sign up below for campaign updates.
2. Sign-up for our newsletter at the bottom of the page for updates on ways to get involved in future campaigns.
3. Stay Informed! See resources:
- Stop Marketing to Kids Coalition: webinar series and video library
- Coalition in the News: additional media coverage on this issue in Canada.
- Ottawa Public Health: infographic on food and beverage marketing to children.
- Other M2K News: media coverage from around the world.
4. Contact your local MP! Express the importance of restrictions on marketing to children and the need for federal restrictions. You can find a list of MPs here.
5. Use social media: Help us spread the word on social media. Use the hashtag #Marketing2Kids.
- I support restrictions to stop #Marketing2Kids #cdnpoli | Find out more: stopmarketingtokids.ca
- Advertising restrictions are needed to protect kids and support parents. Stop food and beverage #Marketing2Kids #cdnpoli
6. Add a page or section to your organization’s website about food and beverage marketing to kids to your website. See examples from:
7. Write an op-ed or pitch a story for your local news to highlight this exciting time for nutrition policy.
- CBC: Throne speech mustn’t neglect crucial Liberal pre-pandemic health commitments
- The Toronto Star: Vital health commitments on food marketing and labelling must not be left unfinished
- Ottawa Citizen: Munter: We are letting our kids eat themselves sick
- Globe and Mail: Wilton Littlechild – Indigenous peoples must look to the past to nourish our children
- Coast Reporter: Martiqueta How marketing harms our kids
- Ottawa Citizen: Why we must ban food advertising to children
- Globe and Mail: Our kids should be protected from junk-food ads
8. Share your expertise! Help us build a bank of actions, research, tools, and ideas to protect children from food and beverage marketing. Contact us!